These savory scones are so flaky, cheesy and delicious you gotta try them! Eat them for breakfast, as a snack, or as side to a dinner such as chili.
Leeks are in the same family as onions and garlic, but have a much more delicate flavor that works perfectly in savory scones. Pair the leeks with cheese and you’ve got yourself the perfect combination. Scones are so easy to make! The one trick to remember is to not knead or overmix the batter.
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks, white part only
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup cold buttermilk, plus some extra for brushing the tops of the scones
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté the leeks in a tablespoon of butter for 10 minutes, until soft and browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture. Using your hands, a fork, or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Using a fork, add the buttermilk and carefully stir until a shaggy dough forms. Be carful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in the cheddar cheese, goat cheese, rosemary and leeks.
- Oh a floured work surface, form the dough into a rectangle and cut about 10 wedges.
- Place wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the scones with buttermilk.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.