Cookies + Cream Mousse
Ever have leftover egg yolks from a recipe and wonder what to do with them? Make mousse! A layer of crushed cookies, topped with chocolate mousse and vanilla whipped cream – delicious! This Cookies + Cream Mousse is perfect for pleasing dinner guest. Its easy to make too!
Serves about 6
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup crushed chocolate cookies. I like these Newman’s Own cookies or Oreos
- In a pot over medium-low heat, whisk together the yolks, sugar, and 1 cup of the heavy cream.
- Whisk constantly for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the melted chocolate and whisk until combined.
- Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl.
- Add the cinnamon and salt to the custard and stir to combine.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat the remaining heavy cream with the vanilla until stiff peaks.
- Set aside half of the whipped cream. (cover and refrigerate)
- Gently fold the custard into the rest of the whipped cream.
- Place in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once the mousse has chilled and thickened, prepare to serve the mousse. In glass cups, place a couple spoonfuls of the crushed cookies on the bottom, add the mousse and top with the whipped cream. Garnish with berries.