Chocolate Merengue Layer Cake
This cake is simply made out of merengue and whipped cream. Its takes a couple of hours to make the merengue, but everything else is quick and easy. The merengue is marbled with melted chocolate and baked until the outside is crisp and the inside is slightly soft and chewy. The good thing about this cake is that it keeps getting better as it sits. The whipped cream slowly softens the merengue which gives the cake a delicious, soft texture.
- 5 egg whites (save the yolks and make this delicious Cookies + Cream Mousse)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 semi-sweet chocolate bar, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Preheat the oven to 250º F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks.
- Continue beating while slowly adding the sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks.
- Beat in 2 tbsp of the cocoa powder.
- Gently fold in the cooled, melted chocolate, until marbled. (It’s okay if the chocolate begins to harden)
- Spread the merengue mixture into two 9-10 inch circles on the baking sheets
- Bake for 1.5 hours, turn the oven off but leave them in the oven for another hour or even overnight. I like to leave them in overnight and assemble the cake the next day.
- Right before serving, whip up the cream.
- Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds into the whipped cream and mix until combined.
- Spoon 1/2 of the whipped cream into another bowl and add the remaining 3 tbsp cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Place one of the merengues on a serving platter and spoon 1/2 of the vanilla whipped cream and 1/2 of the chocolate whipped cream, gently spreading it out into an even layer, creating a marbled effect.
- Place the other merengue on top and spread the remaining whipped cream over the top.
- Top with raspberries and chocolate shavings.
*Store in the fridge